The Spectrum Cheer Team practicing a cheer in the Commons at Spectrum Middle School.
Makayla Taylor

Spectrum’s recently revived cheer team is tumbling through challenges

It’s just a really positive sport so it’s just nice to have that more positive energy.”

— Emma Messer

Spectrum High School has seen some changes this winter sports season with the addition of the Cheerleading team. Spectrum has not had a cheer team in almost 10 years. Starting this team back up has taken hard work from both the coach and the athletes.

“It’s been sort of a challenge. But it’s been like a fun challenge,”

The Spectrum Cheer Team at their practice. Photographer: Makayla Taylor

Coach Abby Gunnarson said.

As the cheer team has been learning and growing, they have been performing at basketball games in order to showcase all that they are learning in practice. They cheer from the sidelines as the game is played and during half time they move onto the court to perform routines. While these performances can be fun for students and athletes, many also enjoy the atmosphere of the team.

9th grader and Captain, Emma Messer said,

“It’s just a really positive sport so it’s just nice to have that more positive energy.”

The cheer team focuses on being a positive and inclusive environment and being open to all students. They lift each other up literally and figuratively through cheer.

The cheer team practicing lifts. Photographer: Makayla Taylor

8th grader Charlotte Herrick said, “We feel like a family together.”

The stunt team, tumble team, and regular team all work together in harmony to create a Sting performance. At practices they work in their separate groups and focus on the stunt and tumble aspects before coming back together to practice cheers and routines as a whole group.

“They’re just so smart that they pick things up right away and it’s so great to see how they learn,” Gunnarson said about the members of the cheer team.

Through hard work, focus, and teamwork the cheer team is overcoming challenges and creating a strong team.

Donate to NOISE News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spectrum High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to NOISE News