Spectrum choir raising the bar at contest

Choir waiting in the gym to perform for the judges
Daisy Haney

Spectrum’s high school choir recently had the opportunity to participate in a contest. A choir contest is an event where choirs from different schools come together and sing in front of judges. The judges give them a score based on how they felt the choir sung all together. After singing for the judges the choirs get an opportunity to go in front of clinician who tell them what they could improve on and work with them to fix some of the mistakes. A little while later the choirs receive their scores. The contest gives Spectrum’s choir a chance to see how far they have come and to share their hard work.

High school choir practicing their two songs for Contest (Ruby Curtis)

Mrs. Sunberg said, “It’s a chance that we get to show all the work we’ve put in.”

Lily Schmidt said, “It went really well. We got a 35/40 so. It was almost a perfect since 40 is perfect. We were pretty proud of ourselves.”

The choir has been preparing for this contest since December after their winter concert. They have been practicing two songs in particular.

Schmidt said, “We sang La Cremosa and Praise His Holy Name.”

“We sang La cremosa and Praise his holy name.”

— Lily Schmidt

The choir contest not only allows students to see their improvement over the year but it also gives them a chance to see other choirs perform. Seeing these other choirs can give Spectrum’s choir ideas of what to improve on and it is a chance for them to see other students that share their same passion.

Sunberg said, “It was fun to watch other choirs and ours is very very good in comparison so it was very awesome.”

Schmidt said, “We got to watch some of the other choirs perform”

The contest gives choir students a fun opportunity to practice performing before their concert in the Spring. Many students have fun on this field trip for various reasons. Some enjoy performing, some enjoy seeing other schools, and some enjoy the bus rides to and from the contest.

Choir talking and preparing to perform at the contest (Daisy Haney)

Sunberg said, “It was such a blast and a good bonding experience.”

Danica Orth said, “I was really looking forward to it.”

Schmidt said, “Honestly the bus ride was such a blast and a good bonding experience.”

The past choir concert took lots of hard work to prepare for. Spectrum students will continue to work hard for the Spring choir contest.

Sunberg said, “I’m really proud of our choral director, Ms. Pieffer, she is doing a great job with those kids”

Donate to NOISE News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spectrum High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to NOISE News