Thumbs Up, a resource center for those struggling with mental health opens a new set of doors

Street view of Thumbs Up
Street view of Thumbs Up
Jezabel Dimaze

Thumbs Up is a resource center for middle and high school students looking to relax and decompress after school.

“Our mission statement is all about bringing awareness to everyone and our support and resources to everyone.

— Katie Shatusky

Katie Shatusky, the executive director of Thumbs Up said, “Thumbs Up is a non-profit based in Elk River and we support all things mental health and suicide prevention.” This program has been around Elk River for many years but is growing in size within the next few months. A new location is opening up in Rogers and the program is very excited to continue to grow and reach more kids. Shatusky said, “Our expansion to Rogers is really our way of reaching another demographic in a different city.” Cece Dahl, a 7th Grader who regularly spends time at Thumbs Up after school said, “It’s an open space and I am able to communicate freely about my feelings.”

Event held at Thumbs Up (Katie Shatusky )
Event held at Thumbs Up (Katie Shatusky)

This program offers lots of varying resources to those who are struggling with mental health or just are looking to talk to someone about what’s going on in their life. “We do some fun activities like bringing in therapy dogs and painting and doing crafts”, said Shatuskey. As well as fun programs and activities, Thumbs Up is filled with many trusting adults who are always open to listen. Dahl said, “If I’m mentally struggling I can talk to someone here like Katie.”

“You should just hang out at Thumbs Up because it’s an amazing place.

— Cece Dahl

Although Thumbs Up has lots of resources and people who want to help you, it can also just be a calm place to decompress after long school days. Dahl said, “It helps me communicate more with my friends that don’t go to my old school anymore.”

Donate to NOISE News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spectrum High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to NOISE News