Student parking lot begins to fill up as the year progresses

An increase of new drivers leaves the student parking lot filled to the brim

As the year continues to pass by us, more and more students are getting their driver’s license.  Many are happy now that they are “free” to go wherever, whenever, and with whomever to wherever they please. Lela Burdick, a sophomore, says, “The freedom of going wherever I want and doing whatever I want and hanging out with my friends more.” Elayna Brueckner, a new driver says , “I feel like I have more freedom. My parents don’t really care where I go because they don’t have to bring me or be with me.” Millie Erickson a soon to be driver says, “Seeing friends and getting to school and stuff because then I don’t have to rely on other people to get me there and back.”

Student parking lot at the High School

“The ability to go to all of my practices and go home and get food. I can do all of that but I couldn’t do that when I was just learning.”

— Lela Burdick

Though with these new drivers out there on the open road, there are still some emotions that still bring them some mixed feelings about being on the road with more experienced and unsafe drivers. The most common feeling that new drivers get is nervousness, this is what Milan had to say about that, “It was really scary. I felt really nervous. I felt like I was going to crash.” And this is what Lela said,  “Nerve wracking for me but it was also really fun because I got to be by myself.”.

Student parking lot at the High School

Even though these new drivers have their license, the test was not as easy as some think. For some it may be easier than others but don’t let that scare you off. Millie says, “That [the test] was going to be very difficult and it would take a really long time for me to learn. Even though it’s pretty much turn the car on, put it in drive and go.” Lela said, “The test was hard and difficult to pass because I was really stressed out about it but it wasn’t hard at all.”. 

As the year continues to move forward, and with more drivers coming… good luck finding available parking spots! Also good luck to all the new drivers, stay safe out there! 

Donate to NOISE News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spectrum High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to NOISE News