The Student News Site of Spectrum High School

NOISE News

Breaking News

NOISE News

NOISE News

Profound poisoned pen performance

Spectrum High School theater puts on the Poisoned Pen play.
Saeran Whitney
Poisoned Pen Cast

Two weeks ago, on the first weekend of November, the Spectrum High School theater program put on the Poisoned Pen, a murder mystery about an eccentric director and a group of actors, stuck together in a mansion trying to solve the murder of Rona Lamona, a gossip columnist who had blackmail against all of them.

The cast and directors worked weeks putting together the amazing show, and through it, many memories were made. Theater creates amazing shows, but it also has importance beyond the performances they put on. “It gives us a chance to look at things from a different perspective.” the theater director, Ms. Tyler states. “It’s difficult sometimes to find ways for students to, well, both have fun in things like this, but also, it’s very good experience.” says Evan Koncsol, an actor in theater. “It’s really important, I think, to express yourself.” another actor, Chloe Sandvig, states.

It has been shown that theater is important in peoples lives both academically and as something to express yourself through, but what does it personally mean to people? “I love spending time with the theater kids and messing around and joking around, but then seeing them, kind of, step into their character, and who they are as a person.” states Mr. De Haan, the assistant director of theater. “I like meeting all the other actors and actresses and being able to get to know them. We have a really good time during cast meals and during performing time.” says Abby Grassfield, an actor in Spectrum theater.

Theater brings many fun memories, and new experiences, but it also comes with many challenges. Mr. De Haan expresses the difficulties of the lack of male actors “One of the big obstacles we have right now is just kind of our lack of male talent.” Time on set is not easy to come by, Ms. Tyler states “It’s hard to get time on the stage, because it’s a multi use facility, and there’s always something going on.” Theater is a huge commitment, and takes up a lot of time, Evan Koncsol says “I think that well whatever role you’re in it’s a massive time commitment but it’s worth is it’s a ton of fun.”

Theater brings many challenges and merits, in the end, it is always worth it to give theater a shot. If you’re looking to join theater, look out for the auditions for the spring Musical; they will be held in December.

Donate to NOISE News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spectrum High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to NOISE News