The Student News Site of Spectrum High School

NOISE News

Breaking News

NOISE News

NOISE News

Learning local government through an environmental science class

Environmental science class does a mock city council meeting; the results are heated
Etta and Kiera speaking for the environmentalist in mock city council meeting in environmental science.

Mollet’s environmental C@SH class did a mock city council meeting discussing a hypothetical proposition proposed by a corporation to set up an underground storage tank to improve their factories efficiency in the local community. Students played the parts of  different interest groups and parties. Their was two main groups that were in opposition to each other these groups were the Zanec Corporation that wanted to build the new underground storage tanks and the environmentalist who had concern that the construction of the underground storage tanks would disturb the local Elk population. There were also students that represented the interest of the local homeowners with some being for the new construction because of the jobs it would bring to the community. While the other homeowners had health concerns over the construction of the underground storage tanks. Another group present at the mock city council meeting was the local health association which only cared that the underground storage tanks were safe and up to code. The mock city council meeting helped the students explore the ideas of governance and of environmental policy in decision making having to fact in all the different perspectives and interest and reaching a comprise which satisfies most parties. Another way this project benefited students was in its ability to help demonstrate the processes of local governance.

Poster made by the students representing the local homeowners for the underground storage tanks. (Josh Neuhaus)
Poster made by the student representing the interest of the Zanec Corporation. (Josh Neuhaus)
Poster made by the students representing the environmentalist. (Josh Neuhaus)
Poster made by the students representing the homeowners who are concerned over how the underground tanks will affect their kids health. (Josh Neuhaus)
Poster made by the student representing the interest of the local health association. (Josh Neuhaus)
Etta and Kiera speaking for the environmentalist in mock city council meeting in environmental science. (Josh Neuhaus)
Student representing the Zanec corporation interests in environmental science class. (Josh Neuhaus)
City council board in mock city council meeting in environmental science. (Josh Neuhaus)
Donate to NOISE News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spectrum High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to NOISE News