The Student News Site of Spectrum High School

NOISE News

Breaking News

NOISE News

NOISE News

The spring musical brings heartwarming feelings to Spectrum

Disney’s Freaky Friday was performed by Spectrum High School’s theater program the weekend of March 15.
Ruby Curtis
Left to right; Fletcher Blake, played by Joe Ambrose and Kathrine Blake, played by Isabella Schluender, driving in a car during the performance of Disney’s Freaky Friday.

Spectrum’s theater program performed Disney’s Freaky Friday; The Musical the weekend of March 15th to 17th. Unlike the several movies and one book with the same name, the musical provides a different perspective on the well known story.

The Disney’s Freaky Friday posters outside of Mr. De Haan’s room. (Ruby Curtis)

“The mother and daughter switch bodies right in the middle of a hectic time in their lives,” Katie Hanson, who played Savannah, said. “Mom’s about to get married and the daughter has a school event that she’s really looking forward to going to.”

Left to right; Ellie Blake (played by Lyla Glinsek) and Adam (played by Brycen Jones) during a scene in biology class. (Ruby Curtis)

This year’s cast has faced a big swap from the previous years, with most of the actors being underclassmen or middle school students. The previous theater season had thirteen seniors, with this year only having three.

“There’s a lot of newer people, Evan Koncsol, who plays Parker, said. “A lot of people, including me, who haven’t been a part of the musical before.”

“Not a lot of the middle schoolers have done a ton of theater before,” Evan Stottlemyre said. “So everyone doesn’t know exactly what they’re supposed to do.”

For this musical, not only are middle school students stepping into new roles, but so are two individuals, Ava Henrie and Lyla Glinsek, who are student choreographers.

The cast of Disney’s Freaky Friday performing a song during Ellie’s gym class. (Ruby Curtis)

“I’m doing a lot of the choreography for the show,” Lyla Glinsek said. “We were able to do half if not more of the choreography in the whole musical.”

The student choreographers came into the role after assisting with choreography for last year’s musical Cinderella. When needing to fill spots in the dances, Henrie and Glinsek were looked to for their experience in dance, both dancing for years and being a part of the Spectrum Dance Team. For this musical, they were given roles as assistant student choreographers.

The performance of Disney’s Freaky Friday proved a success for Spectrum’s theater program, both with turn out and talent.

Donate to NOISE News

Your donation will support the student journalists of Spectrum High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to NOISE News